Electric Vehicle Offers & Information
Install a Level 2 (240V) Electric Vehicle Charger at Home and Get a Rebate!
As part of Emerald’s efforts to promote clean and affordable electric transportation, Emerald People’s Utility District (Emerald) is offering the Electric Car Charger Rebate to encourage customers to charge their vehicles at homes throughout our service territory.
Level 2 electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE) provides charging through a 240 V AC plug. Level 2 adds about 10 to 60 miles of range to a vehicle per hour of charging time, making it far more convenient than standard 120 V AC charging, which adds about 2 to 5 miles per hour of charging. Additionally, level 2 charging is a more energy-efficient method of charging, as most EV have on-board components that require additional electricity the entire time the EV is plugged in.
- Level 2 chargers are four to six times faster than using a standard home outlet.
- More efficient charging than standard outlet (120V) charging.
- Many units come with additional controls, such as timers and Wi-Fi connectivity, to help save you money if you're on Time-of-Use rates.
Eligibility• EV Charger must be installed at a home with permanent electric service from Emerald.
• Customer must enroll in a time-of-day rate schedule when made available by Emerald.
• Purchase and install an eligible charger for a new or used electric vehicle DMV-registered to the same Emerald electric service address.
• Level 2 (240-volt) AC EV Chargers must:
o Comply with current SAE International J1772 standard
o Be new, unused and certified by a nationally recognized testing laboratory recognized by Occupational Safety and Health Administration (e.g., Underwriters Laboratories) at the time of purchase.
o EV Charger must be ENERGY STARrated and installed at a home with permanent electric service from Emerald.
• Chargers that are resold, rebuilt, received from warranty insurance claims or won as a prize are not eligible for rebates under this program.
• Costs to install electrical infrastructure required to accommodate corded, higher-powered chargers (e.g., Tesla Mobile Connector) are eligible with appropriate documentation.
Requirements• Completed and signed Incentive Application (this form) submitted within 90 days of the date of purchase.
• Proof of Electric Car Charger Purchase and/or Installation (Invoice):
Contractor and/or Retailer name, address, and phone number.
Itemized listing of each product, including quantity, product description, manufacturer, model number.
Installation Date and Total Installed Cost.
• Photos of completed charger installation.
• If registering your vehicle with Emerald for the first time, please submit a copy of your current vehicle registration.
Register Your EV and Get $100
Do you own or lease an electric vehicle (EV)?
Whether it’s a battery electric vehicle or a plug-in hybrid, you're helping
drive the adoption of electric vehicles in our community. Join other EPUD
customers throughout our district that are fueling up with electricity and register today!
• Be an EPUD electric customer.
• Own or lease a new or used:
a. Plug-in battery electric vehicle with a minimum 2 kWh on-board battery, or
b. Plug-in hybrid electric vehicle with a minimum 2 kWh on-board battery. Neighborhood electric vehicles including short-
range, low-speed vehicles like the GEM or Arcimoto also qualify. Golf carts do not qualify.
• Have your eligible vehicle registered at a service address with active EPUD electric service.
• Complete the online form.
EPUD customers are eligible to receive one registration incentive per vehicle. A new form must be completed if an EPUD
customer has multiple eligible electric vehicles.
• Submit a scanned PDF or image of your active Oregon DMV registration document for verification.
After verifying your application, we’ll give you a $100 registration reward!
EV Charging Equipment Federal Tax Credit up to $1,000
Consumers who purchase qualified residential fueling equipment prior to December 31, 2021, may receive a tax credit of 30% of the cost, up to $1,000. Permitting and inspection fees are not included in covered expenses.
NOTE: This incentive originally expired on December 31, 2016, but was retroactively extended through December 31, 2020, by Public Law 116-94. The Taxpayer Certainty and Disaster Tax Relief Act of 2020 extended the alternative fuel vehicle refueling property credit to cover refueling property placed in service in 2021.
- Consult a tax professional to see if your installation qualifies
- Visit IRS website for additional information
Electric Vehicle Federal Tax Credit up to $7,500
A federal income tax credit up to $7,500 is available for the purchase of a qualifying EV. The minimum credit amount is $2,500, and the credit may be up to $7,500, based on each vehicle's battery capacity and the gross vehicle weight rating. Your eligibility for income tax credits depends on your personal tax situation. We recommend speaking with a tax professional for guidance.
The credit begins to phase out for each vehicle manufacturer once they have sold 200,000 eligible electric vehicles in the United States (as counted from January 1, 2010). The IRS will announce when a manufacturer exceeds this production volume and will announce the subsequent phase-out schedule on the IRS website.
- Consult your tax adviser to make sure you qualify
- Max tax credit $7,500
- Restrictions apply, subject to change without notice
Oregon Clean Vehicle Rebate Program
The Oregon Clean Vehicle Rebate Program offers a cash rebate for Oregon drivers who purchase or lease electric vehicles. It is not a tax credit. DEQ designed the program to reduce vehicle emissions by encouraging more Oregonians to purchase or lease electric vehicles rather than gas vehicles. The program contains two rebate options:
Standard rebate for the purchase or lease of an eligible new electric vehicle. Electric vehicles can be battery electric vehicles or plug-in hybrid electric vehicles. Rebate amounts are:
• $2,500 for a new electric vehicle with a battery capacity of 10 kWh or more
• $1,500 for a new electric vehicle with a battery capacity of less than 10 kWh
• $750 for a new zero-emission electric motorcycle
Charge Ahead Rebate for the purchase or lease of a new or used battery electric vehicle. New or used plug-in hybrid electric vehicles purchased on Sept. 29, 2019 or later also qualify for this rebate. The vehicle must be purchased through a certified vehicle dealer or an original equipment manufacturer, no person-to-person sales are eligible. The rebate amount is $2,500. You must be a low- or moderate-income household to qualify for this rebate
• If you purchase or lease a new, battery electric or plug-in hybrid electric vehicle that qualifies for a Charge Ahead rebate and the vehicle also qualifies for a Standard rebate, you may combine the Charge Ahead rebate with the Standard rebate for up to a total rebate of $4,000 to $5,000.
- Restrictions apply, see program website for details
Eligible applicants may combine Standard rebate with Charge Ahead rebate